~ Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #235: Shadows and Reflections in Monochrome ~

Patti opens her intriguing challenge with a quote by Alfred Stieglitz, worth repeating: In photography there is a reality so subtle that it becomes more real than reality. I had never been able to put words around the sensation I have at times when an image knocks me over. Thanks to Patti, I now have the words, and from the perfect source.

My first image is beautiful in color with the three chairs in the distance a bright red. I like it as much, maybe more, in monochrome which pulls my eyes to the clean reflection of trees and clouds on water.

From the complex composition above to the simple elegance of a Wilson’s Snipe seeking sustenance alone on the shoreline at days end, monochrome works perfectly.

A stormy sundown is even more dramatic in noir, though the subtle hint of blue in the color shot adds a softness that I prefer. Still, this is a keeper!

A gaggle of Canada Goose took up residence on the Breaker’s wetland for a while one late winter. As I walked by they stopped paddling to watch me. When I saw this photo, it became one of my favorite bird reflection shots.

If you have followed my blog, you know I love taking photos of the little things; bugs, snails, bird prints and my favorite, ‘Dune Runes’. In this shot, the shadows drew me in as much as the wind driven rune patterns.

Natural sepia happens. The photo below was taken straight as it appeared in real life. No changing the lens settings, no processing afterward, just life as it happened in the moment. It is an all-time favorite of mine, which I have featured in previous posts.

I’ll close with another favorite. My sweet beagle Jello, passed just a year ago. She was such an easy companion on beach walks – I miss her. In this early morning shot, we see her reflection and shadow at the same time.

On your walk with life, please honor our earth, encourage dignity and share kindness. 🐾

This entry was posted in Birding, birds, Black and White Photos, jello, Lens-Artists, Lens-Artists Photo Challenge, nature, nature photography, outdoors, pacific northwest, pacific ocean, photography, travel, weekly photo challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to ~ Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #235: Shadows and Reflections in Monochrome ~

1. Leya says:

A beautiful collection, Lindy – keepers all over. It is difficult to have favourites…but Wilson’s Snipe is so serene and the stormy one afterwards is a beauty of sorts. The natural sepia is glorious too. I have to scroll back to sweet Jello, our companion on the blog as well. I understand if you are missing Jello, I think we are too.

• Lindy Le Coq says:

Oh Leya, every time I scroll back through my archives I find photos of Jello that make my heart ache. She was such a gem. Max and Daisy are much more of a challenge though I love them too! So glad you enjoyed the photos in my post. It is always wonderful to hear from you.

• Leya says:

Thank you, Lindy! Yes, we all have our sorrows, but also new friends in our lives. It is great to have photos and memories!

2. Amy says:

Beautiful in B&w! Excellent selections. Love the last image especially.

3. Wind Kisses says:

Outstanding. Oh…sweet Jello. What a precious memory and how lucky she lived her life as your companion on the beach walks. I loved all the photos. The beach photo without any editing is something we all strive for, so what a great place to have it land for all of us to see. I loved the Snipe. And wow to capture the detail in the sand in your ‘Dune Runes’ is fantastic. To think, when we leave things untouched, they often do the most beautiful things. Great post

4. Tina Schell says:

Some wonderful images this week Lindy. I especially liked the dunes and your little Jello.

• Lindy Le Coq says:

Thank you, Tina. I almost didn’t post the Dune Rune thinking “it’s not dramatic enough.” Then again, that’s part of its attraction – simple and direct. Every time I scroll through my archives I see photos of Jello that make my heart ache. This time I decided it was okay to post her wonderful self, reflection and shadow!

5. JohnRH says:

Great photos, all. The first is my fave.